Pull ups on a horizontal bar: types, program and technique | Bodyweight Exercises
It is hard to imagine at least one sport in which athletes would not use pull ups on a horizontal bar to build muscle and increase arm strength. This exercise is certainly included in the program of physical education, even in educational institutions. This type of exercise is so popular among athletes that it can be found even in the newest training systems, including crossfit. We will tell about it in this article.
The benefits of pull-ups
The high popularity of this exercise is primarily due to the fact that it not only contributes to the development of muscle strength and endurance, improves the external physical form, but also strengthens the ligaments, has a beneficial effect on the spine of a sportsman. Different muscle groups are involved and these loads can be varied in many ways. The benefits of pull-ups on the bar are beyond doubt. Again, this does not require ingenious devices or special simulators. It is enough to have any solid crossbar, body and desire to improve it.
What muscles work?
Before proceeding to the technical side of the exercise, let’s see, when pulling up on the bar, which muscles work the most.
Several groups of muscles of the back, chest, abdomen, shoulder girdle are activated at once, namely:
- trapezius, round and rhomboid, latissimus, extensor muscles of the back;
- small and large pectoralis;
- all types of abdominal muscles;
- biceps, triceps;
- humeral, back deltoid and numerous muscles of a forearm.
A variety of methods and schemes of pull-ups on the horizontal bar allow you to change or increase the impact on a particular group of muscles.
Types of pull-ups
Types of pull-ups on a horizontal bar are classified according to the phase rotation, whether they are performed with or without a burden, but the most important criterion is the technique of execution and how you hold onto the crossbar (grip). Grab, in turn, are classified according to two main features – distance and methods of grip.
Types of grip length
The distance between the grips is of the following types:
- narrow grip – when the distance between the gripping arms of an athlete is less than the width of his shoulders;
- medium grip – the distance between the arms is equal to the width of the shoulders, it may be slightly wider;
- wide grip – this is when the hands are placed at a distance greater than the width of the shoulders.
Classification by grip types
Grip methods are as follows:
- straight or upper grip – the athlete’s palms are pointing away from his face;
- reverse or lower grip – the crossbeam is seized from below and palms face face pulling up;
- Neutral or parallel grip – the hands are turned inwards and the palms are facing each other.
By changing the way of gripping the bar, you can concentrate the load on different muscles. The most evenly distributed load across all involved muscle groups is distributed with the classic straight arm with an average distance between the arms. Pull-ups on the horizontal bar with a wide grip load the back muscles. Reverse grip more biceps straining. The narrow straight also gives a strong strain on the muscles of the shoulder. Pulling up on the horizontal bar on the mass should be done with the burdening.
Types of execution technique
Pulling up on the horizontal bar is aimed at the functional development of all the muscles of the body, so it is firmly included in the crossfit training system, becoming an integral component of them.
In a crossfit, along with the classic ones, the following types of this exercise are used:
- tightening kipping;
- chest to the crossbar;
- jumping pull-ups.
Their techniques are very similar and in most cases are performed by inertial movements. If in the classical version of the pull-up exercise is performed with immobile lower limbs and only due to the contraction of different muscle groups, in the kipping or butterfly the athlete makes swaying movements and by inertia raises the upper part of the body above the crossbar.
According to reviews, kipping, for example, is easier than classic ones, but with the wrong technique they are more traumatic. For more information about the techniques of each of these exercises can be found on our website.
Technique of the exercise
Perform pull-ups on the bar can, both daily and a couple of times a week. No need to make them to exhaustion, the load of 70 percent is optimal. Performing 7-8 pull-ups contributes to the development of muscle strength, and subsequent repetitions of the exercises are aimed at developing endurance. When and how to increase the number of pull-ups on the horizontal bar is solved in the process of training individually.
Before you start pulling up, exercises for warming up, such as push-ups, will not be superfluous. The program of tightening on the horizontal bar depends on what you want to achieve: to develop the strength of the hands or increase muscle mass.
Technique pull-ups on the bar looks like this:
- Hang on the horizontal bar, choosing the width and grip method you need.
- Make a pull upward movement while simultaneously exhaling. The movement should be carried out by the movement of the blades. No need to try to pull yourself up with the strength of your biceps, since the latissimus dorsi is a much stronger muscle group. The same applies to various jerking movements of the pelvis and legs – like in the classic version of the pull-up is not permissible. Try to focus on the position of the elbows. You must “push” them down as the body rises – so the load on the latissimus dorsi will be maximal.
- Movement is better to perform in full amplitude. At the top of the chin should be located above the horizontal bar, and elbows – almost pressed against the body.
- Lightly go down, breathing in. The descent time must equal the ascent. At the lowest point, straighten your arms and relax your back muscles. pause for one second, then repeat one more repetition.
Pull-up for beginners
And now a few tips for those who start pulling up on the bar from scratch, that is, simply can not pull up again. Do not worry and just hang for a start. Regularly do special exercises to strengthen the hands. This is a mandatory part of the training program, because without a strong grip, your hands will slide off. Take your time – it is better to build up the result gradually, than to get hurt in a sharp rush.
Pulling up on the horizontal bar for beginners has a number of special techniques that will help in a short row to improve the personal result in performing this exercise. Here are a few of them:
- Negative repetitions. Performance as if you were already tightened on a horizontal bar. Your chin is over the bar, your arms are bent. But you achieve this with the help of an auxiliary object – a chair or bench. Go down as slowly as you can. Do three or four sets of exercises in a few attempts. This complex is also good for those who have not trained for a long time and have just resumed training.
- Pagging with the help of a partner. Hang on the horizontal bar, and your partner, clasping you from behind, let him help you lift. Three approaches are performed with a decrease in the number of exercises. Remember that the main burden should lie on you.
- Building half. Place a chair so that your arms are bent 90 ° to the crossbar, as if you had completed half the pull-up amplitude. Do the rest yourself. The number of performed approaches and pull-ups is similar for other exercises for beginners.
- Special trainer or gum. In many gyms there are special simulators to facilitate pull-ups, especially they are loved by girls. A full replacement can be an elastic gum. Elastic bands for tightening on the horizontal bar will not only reduce the load, but also regulate it with a counterweight.
The program of pull ups
To ensure personal progress in the pull-ups, it is necessary not only to follow the correct technique for performing the exercises, but also to adhere to a certain training pattern. The program of pull-ups on the bar, designed for 30 weeks, has proven itself very well. Thanks to it, you can achieve high stable results. The program provides for 5 approaches to the bar at each workout with a weekly increase in load.
You can see the detailed diagram of how to increase the pull-ups on the horizontal bar in the image below. It is suitable for both men and women.
Risk of injury
Pulling up on the horizontal bar, although technically not very difficult exercise, but everything can be fraught with injury or the appearance of unpleasant sensations after intense training.
- The first thing to fear is the appearance of corns. They are formed by pinching or rubbing the skin of the palms, and often not only in women, but also men appear after the first workout. The best means of protection against them are special sports gloves that will help to stay on the crossbar.
- When performing pull-ups, especially for beginners, there is a high risk of falling. This happens with insufficiently strong hands, weak grip, wet or slippery hands. Gloves or special talc will help get rid of wet palms, and to make brushes stronger, you need to additionally train your hand muscles with a long hanging on the bar and special sets of exercises for beginners.
- With intensive training, especially – at the initial stage, pain in the muscles, joints and ligaments of the upper half of the body cannot be avoided. To minimize these unpleasant feelings, follow the correct technique, warm up before pulling up, increase the load gradually.
Crossfit complexes with pull-ups
We offer you several training complexes for crossfit, which contain exactly the classic pull-up on the horizontal bar in the program.
|Chain||Perform 10 pull-ups on the horizontal bar, 3 lifts along the vertical pegboard, 10 classic dead-bolts, 10 burpi. Only 5 rounds.|
|Merf||Perform 100 pull-ups, running on the track – 1 km, 200 push-ups, squats without any weighting – 300 repetitions.|
|Thirty Victorie||Perform 30 pull-ups, 30 lifts of socks to the crossbar, 30 beperies, 30 weight press leggings, 30 dead bolts.|
|Сindy||Perform 5 pull-ups, 10 pushups, 15 air squats. Duration 20 minutes. For beginners.|
There are no traumatic sports, there is an incorrect exercise. Be sure to include pull-ups on the bar in the system of your workouts and very soon you will be able to boast an amazingly beautiful torso and pumped up muscles. But do not forget about the training of the lower extremities. Then you will be absolutely irresistible.